This method allows you to try out new ways of building confidence, getting motivated and reducing stress. You can meet with trained psychological well-being practitioners in person and/or talk to them over the telephone.
Guided self-help involves:
- Reading a workbook (or a series of booklets) about depression and/or anxiety
- Carrying out the exercises or activities suggested in the workbook
- Learning about the difficulties you have been experiencing and learning to become your own therapist: applying CBT techniques yourself and learning skills in order to stay well in the future.
- Reviewing any difficulties that you are having with your psychological well-being practitioner
- 4-6 weekly or fortnightly sessions either face-to-face or on the telephone.
Research suggests it can be an effective therapy for people experiencing anxiety and/or depression.